There has been a dearth of posts here lately because work has kicked my ass. Things are slowly settling down on e again, so I’m able to pay a little more attention here. But after not blogging for a while, I was a little lost and didn’t know where to start up with again. Then I watched a “50 facts about me” video on YouTube and thought it might be fun to do this here. So without further ado, here are 50 random facts about yours truely.
1. I was apparently a rather precocious child. When I was 2 or 3, I went out for a meal with my mum and the food lady gave me a pair of fork and spoon to use, which I promptly refused, insisting on using a pair of chopsticks.
2. I’m terrified of heights and had constant nightmares of falling off the glass barriers at shopping centres when I was a kid. I went to the Great Wall of China and my knees literally went limp when I tried climbing up a mildly steep slope.
3. I’m terrible at art, worse subject in school, but I still like trying to draw chibis.
4. I secretly love math even though I’m a humanities student through and through.
5. In the geek line, I actually find spreadsheets pretty fascinating. It gives me joy to figure out all the amazing things excel formulas can do.
6. I’m very messy, but yet have slight OCD tendencies.
7. I once damaged my hair so badly from bleaching that it turned mooshy and I had to wear my hair in braids for months.
8. I started dyeing my hair when I was 19 and have never looked back.
9. I’ve always wanted a tattoo but keep chickening out because I hate pain.
10. Which brings me to the fact that I can’t take pain. Even a teeny injection sends my body into shock and I can’t stop shivering for a period of time after the shot.
11. I have a short attention span and my drawers are filled with craft work that I’ve abandoned.
12. At one point in time, my house was a practically a zoo – we had a dog, a parrot, birds, a rabbit, fish and hamsters.
13. I won’t die without my phone, PC and other electronic devices, but I’d be very miserable.
14. Once I came back from holiday and while on the train to work had a moment of panic, wondering what the heck has my life become and was this what I had to look forward to for the rest of my life.
15. I used to love the colour pink as a teenager, walls, cupboard, bedsheets, everything was pink. Now I have an aversion to the colour.
16. I loath Hello Kitty and do not understand the craze.
17. During my uni years, I went through a goth phase and my grandparents would tsk at me whenever they saw me with my black nail polish on.
18. My mum never allowed me to grow out my hair as a child and once I cried so hard at the salon when I had to cut it.
19. In my adult years, I have grown and cut my hair (really short) too many times to count.
20. I almost never get motion sickness.
21. My favourite colour is blue.
22. I can almost never wear pastel colours because they just wash me out.
23. My friends say my legs are so pale, they can reflect light.
24. When I’m in Japan, people think I’m Japanese and I went on an exchange once and the consensus among the Japanese students was that out of the group of Singaporeans, I looked the most Japanese.
25. I hate peas and beans with skin.
27. I believe that all living things, including plants and micro organisms in water are alive and could possibly feel, and that is why I won’t go vegetarian or vegan based on the reasoning that eating meat is cruel.
28. I’ve always loved to cook and can’t really understand how people can not know how to cook even the simplest things. Friends included here.
29. I hate waiting week by week to watch TV shows and would rather get my hands on DVDs to watch all the episodes in one go.
30. I can be pretty obstinate when it comes to things that I really want. I once pretty much travelled a good part of Singapore to find the VCD of a show (Love Revolution, which is one of my favourite shows) I wanted to watch.
31. My parents brought me to watch shows like The Exorcist, Poltergeist and other horror movies of the time when I was just a kid. Had so many nightmares growing up.
32. I would rather text than call.
33. I had a pretty poor body image when I was a kid. Used to think I was fat, but looking back at pictures, I was actually quite skinny.
34. I used to be so short that my kindergarten teacher would think that I was sitting when I was already standing. Thank god I hit a growth spurt when I was in my late teens.
35. I love the cold, which is a shame because I live on the equator, or near enough anyway.
36. For most of my life, I’ve never lived higher than 2 floors. Except for a short couple of months when we were waiting for our new place.
37. I bought my first car 2 years ago but I don’t have a license.
38. If I could, I’d travel to most places in a bus (if a car wasn’t an option). There’s just something about long bus rides that I enjoy.
39. My dream is to travel to as many countries as I can.
40. The only book I finished writing was about a blind person that I wrote when I was less than 10. I even binded and had a cover for it.
41. I believe that girls need to know how to drink, but to also know their limits.
42. I dislike floral prints and hardly have anything with floral prints.
43. My pets have mostly been dogs. Definitely a dog person.
44. I love spicy food, the spicier the better. Sometimes, it just hurts so good.
45. I have such small hands that I had to give up learning the organ because my fingers couldn’t stretch enough to hit the chords.
46. For my height, my feet are tiny, so my sense of balance ain’t the best. Or so I insist.
47. I always over pack when I travel and in recent years, while I have become slightly better at packing clothes, my make up and toiletries pack have exploded and sometimes, they take up half of my luggage space.
48. I make it a point to travel at least once a year, even if it’s just a quick trip to Thailand.
49. Given a choice, I’d rather stay up at night than to be awake during the day. My brain just works better at 3am in the morning.
50. I’m slightly shortsighted (200 degrees on both sides), but I refuse to wear glasses most of the time. I used to wear contacts all the time until I scratched my cornea and my eyes teared and hurt for days. After that, I’ll just walk around in a fog.
Unbelievably, I’ve jotted down 50 facts about me. Phew. Hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it. If you feel up to it, I’d love to know 50 facts about you, so if you do this, link back or comment so that I can read yours too 🙂